This page is a list of all the resources I have found helpful on my journey to health. I will keep adding to this list.
Some helpful starting points
- Lyme Disease UK website (click here) and facebook group (click here)
- Caudwell Lyme website. Set up my phones4u founder John Caudwell, who was affected by Lyme.
- Richard Horowitz’ books: Why Can’t I Get Better? and How Can I Get Better?
- Website and blog produced by a patient who fully recovered from Lyme disease and has lots of helpful resources for patients https://realfoodrebel.com/
- Another great patient-led website by a lady who fully recovered: Layers of Lyme
Stephen Buhner’s Lyme protocols
Website has basic protocols available for free: http://buhnerhealinglyme.com/
His books go into much more detail:
- Healing Lyme
- Healing Lyme Disease Coinfections – Bartonella and Mycoplasma
- Natural Treatments for Lyme Disease Coinfections: Anaplasma, Babesia and Ehrlichia
The Gupta programme
This programme was originally designed for CFS/ME but has been successfully used for lots of chronic conditions, including Lyme. The cost of the programme is, compared to many treatments, very reasonable and you really do get a lot of resources for the price, including a 12-week live webinar series with the founder Ashok Gupta which was invaluable for me.
- Meditations from the Gupta programme; available for free via The Meaning of Life app (available for Apple and Android). These meditations are not chronic-illness related so are suitable for everyone.
- Kundalini yoga meditations and kriyas as described in: Meditation as Medicine, by Guru Dharma Singh Khalsa MD & Cameron Stauth
- Calm App (available on Apple and Android and probably others). There are some good free meditations or you can subscribe to premium. I started using their sleep meditations when I was struggling with insomnia and I still use them now; I’m normally asleep before it’s finished!
- Headspace – a very popular meditation app. I don’t use it any more but I think it’s a really good starting point for beginners.
Dietary advice and recipes
- The Wahls Protocol has been used successfully with Lyme, as well as many other chronic conditions. Website and book
- The Paleo Mom. Website and book.
- Website and blog, with recipes, by a nutritionist who lives and works locally to me. My favourite website for breakfast ideas! http://www.crunchnutrition.co.uk/
I’ve really enjoyed listening to podcasts this year. I like to listen to them while I cook and while I drive, but they are also great for anyone who is sick and needs a restful activity to pass the time. All of these are available on iTunes
- Lyme Ninja Radio
- Bulletproof Radio – not focused on Lyme or chronic illness generally, but rather is a podcast designed for people who aim to be the best that they can be. Covers everything you could possibly imagine in relation to health and has hundreds of episodes.
- My Dad Wrote a Porno. Ok, this has absolutely nothing to do with Lyme disease. But it is bloody hilarious and we all need more laughter in our lives.